|James Russell Lowell|
Author, Critic, Poet (22-Feb-1819 12-Aug-1891)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Richmond Croom Beatty. James Russell Lowell. Hamden, CT: Archon Books. 1969.
George Willis Cooke (editor). A Bibliography of James Russell Lowell. New York and Boston: Houghton Mifflin. 1906. 209pp.
Martin Duberman. James Russell Lowell. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin. 1966.
Ferris Greenslet. James Russell Lowell: His Life and Work. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin. 1905. 309pp.
Edward Everett Hale. James Russell Lowell and His Friends. New York: Houghton, Mifflin. 1899. 303pp.
Alethea Hayter (editor). Portrait of a Friendship: Drawn from Letters of James Russell Lowell to Sybella Lady Lyttleton, 1881-1891. Salisbury, Wiltshire, England: Michael Russell. 1990. 268pp.
C. David Heymann. American Aristocracy: The Lives and Times of James Russell, Amy, and Robert Lowell. New York: Dodd, Mead & Company. 1980. 561pp.
Leon Howard. Victorian Knight-Errant: A Study of the Early Literary Career of James Russell Lowell. University of California Press. 1952.
W. H. Hudson. Lowell and His Poetry. London: George G. Harrap & Co.. 1911. 136pp.
Robert Charles Le Clair. Three American Travellers in England: James Russell Lowell, Henry Adams, Henry James. Greenwood Press. 1978. 223pp. Reprint of a 1945 dissertation.
Luther S. Livingston. A Bibliography of the First Editions in Book Form of the Writings of James Russell Lowell. New York: The DeVinne Press. 1914. 136pp.
Claire McGlinchee. James Russell Lowell. New York: Twayne Publishers. 1967.
Gustav Pollak. International Perspective in Criticism: Goethe, Grillparzer, Sainte-Beuve, Lowell. New York: Dodd Mead & Co.. 1914. 312pp.
Horace Elisha Scudder. James Russell Lowell: A Biography. Boston & New York: Houghton, Mifflin & Co.. 1901. (2 vols.) 455pp. + 482pp.
Herbert F. Smith (editor). Literary Criticism of James Russell Lowell. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press. 1969.
Charles Oran Stewart. Lowell and France: A Study of the French Element in the Collected Writings of James Russell Lowell. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press. 1951. 136pp.
Francis H. Underwood. The Poet and the Man: Recollections and Appreciations of James Russell Lowell. Boston, MA: Lee & Shepard. 1893.
Edward Wagenknecht. James Russell Lowell: Portrait of a Many-Sided Man. New York: Oxford University Press. 1971.
George Wurfl. Lowell's Debt to Goethe: A Study of Literary Influence. Pennsylvania State College. 1936.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.711)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.921)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.653)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.297)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.448)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.245)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (pp.486-88)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.617)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.455)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.310)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.428)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.590)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.9)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.279)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications