Poet, Critic, Educator (24-Dec-1822 15-Apr-1888)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Warren D. Anderson. Matthew Arnold and the Classical Tradition. University of Michigan Press. 1965. 293pp.
Louis Bonnerot. Matthew Arnold, Počte: Essai de Biographie Psychologique. Paris, France: Librarie Marcel Didier. 1947. 584pp. Language: French.
Douglas Bush. Matthew Arnold: A Survery of His Poetry and Prose. London: Macmillan. 1971. 202pp.
A. Dwight Culler. Imaginative Reason: The Poetry of Matthew Arnold. Yale University Press. 1966. 303pp.
D. G. James. Matthew Arnold and the Decline of English Romanticism. Clarendon Press. 1961. 110pp.
Fraser Neiman. Matthew Arnold. Twayne. 1968. 190pp.
George Robert Stange. Matthew Arnold: The Poet as Humanist. Princeton University Press. 1967. 300pp.
Donald D. Stone. Communications with the Future: Matthew Arnold in Dialogue. University of Michigan Press. 1997. 218pp.
Lionel Trilling. Matthew Arnold. New York: W. W. Norton. 1939. 465pp. Trilling's first book. Also a second edition in 1965.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography (p.22)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.65)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.13)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.24)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.37)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.13)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.52)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.33)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.11)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.27)
- Atlantic: Brief Lives: A Biographical Companion to the Arts (pp.18-21)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (p.23)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.11)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.17)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications