|William S. Burroughs|
Author (5-Feb-1914 2-Aug-1997)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Graham Caveney. Gentleman Junkie: The Life and Legacy of Williams S. Burroughs. Boston, MA: Little Brown and Company. 1998. 224pp.
Graham Caveney. Priest They Called Him: The Life and Legacy of William S. Burroughs. London: Bloomsbury. 1998. 224pp.
Ralph Cook; François LaGarde. William Burroughs: The Hombre Invisible. San Diego, CA: Atticus Books. 1981. 52pp. Bibliography and ephemera totalling 360 items, 50 copies made.
Michael B. Goodman. William S. Burroughs: An Annotated Bibliography of His Works and Criticism. New York: Garland. 1975. 96pp.
Michael B. Goodman. Contemporary Literary Censorship: The Case History of Burroughs' Naked Lunch. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press. 1981. 330pp.
James Grauerholz (editor). Last Words: The Final Journals of William S. Burroughs. New York, NY: Grove/Atlantic. 2000.
Oliver Harris. William Burroughs and the Secret of Fascination. Southern Illinois University Press. 2003. 287pp.
Oliver Harris (editor). The Letters of William S. Burroughs, 1945-1959. New York: Viking. 1994. 472pp.
Rob Johnson. The Lost Years Of William S. Burroughs: Beats In South Texas. Texas A&M University Press. 2006. 208pp.
John Lardas. The Bop Apocalypse: The Religious Visions of Kerouac, Ginsberg and Burroughs. University of Illinois Press. 2000. 316pp.
Robin Lydenberg. Word Cultures: Radical Theory and Practice in William S. Burroughs' Fiction. University of Illinois Press. 1987.
Joe Maynard; Barry Miles. William S. Burroughs: A Bibliography, 1953-73. Charlottesville, VA: University Press of Virginia. 1978.
Barry Miles. The Beat Hotel: Ginsberg, Burroughs and Corso in Paris, 1957-1963. New York: Grove Press. 2000. 294pp.
Barry Miles (editor). A Descriptive Catalogue of the William S. Burroughs Archive. London: Covent Garden Press. 1973. 347pp. Edition of 226 copies, cover design by Brion Gysin.
Ted Morgan. Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs. New York, New York: Henry Holt & Co.. 1988. 659pp.
Eric Mottram. William Burroughs: The Algebra of Need. Buffalo, NY: Intrepid Press. 1971. 108pp.
Timothy S. Murphy. Wising Up the Marks: The Novels of William S. Burroughs. University of California Press. 1997.
Daniel Odier. The Job: Interviews with William S. Burroughs. New York: Grove Press. 1970. 192pp.
David Ohle. Cursed from Birth: The Short Unhappy Life of William S. Burroughs, Jr.. Grove Press. 2001. 234pp. About WSB's son with Jean Vollmer. This was issued as a proof only; legal issues kept it off the market.
Davis Schneiderman (editor). Retaking the Universe: William S. Burroughs in the Age of Globalization. Pluto Press. 2004. 328pp. A collection of essays.
Jennie Skerl; Robin Lydenberg (editors). William S. Burroughs at the Front: Critical reception, 1959-1989. Southern Illinois University Press. 1991. 274pp. 25 essays.
Jennie Skerl. William S. Burroughs. Boston, MA: Twayne Publishers. 1985.
Robert A. Sobieszek. Ports of Entry: William S. Burroughs and the Arts. New York, NY: Thames & Hudson. 1996.
V. Vale (editor). RE/SEARCH #4/5: A Special Book Issue: William S. Burroughs, Brion Gysin and Throbbing Gristle. San Francisco, CA: RE/Search Publications. 1982.
Peter O. Whitmer; Bruce Van Wyngarden. Aquarius Revisited: Seven Who Created the Sixties Counterculture That Changed America. New York: Macmillan. 1987. 260pp. The seven are: William Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary, Norman Mailer, Tom Robbins, and Hunter S. Thompson.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Public Information Research Namebase [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers
- 20th Century Culture: A Biographical Companion (p.114)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.109)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.235)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.157)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.39)
- Contemporary Novelists (pp.211-14)
- Current Biography, 1971 Yearbook (pp.74-77)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.111)
- Celebrity Register 3rd Issue (p.77)
- Celebrity Register 4th Issue (p.73)
- Who's Who in Lesbian & Gay Writing (p.30)
- World Authors 1950-1970 (pp.252-54)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.154)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.104)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.80)
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture (vol.1, p.397)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.38)
- A Dictionary of 20th Century World Biography (Oxford) (p.95)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications