Activist (17-Aug-1887 10-Jun-1940)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
James L. Conyers, Jr. (editor). Reevaluting the Pan-africanism of W. E. B. DuBois and Marcus Garvey: Escapist Fantasy or Relevant Reality. Edwin Mellen Press. 2006. 300pp.
Edmund David Cronon. The Black Moses: The Story of Marcus Garvey and the Universal Negro Improvement Association. University of Wisconsin Press. 1969. 278pp.
Amy Jacques Garvey. Black Power in America: Marcus Garvey's Impact on Jamaica and Africa. Kingston, Jamaica: (self-published). 1968. 41pp.
Colin Grant. Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey. Oxford University Press. 2008. 544pp.
Edward Barnes Henry. The Predictions of a Great Race Leader in Fulfillment: Hon. Marcus Garvey. New York: Edward Barnes Henry. 1953. 64pp.
Robert A. Hill (editor). Marcus Garvey: Life and Lessons. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. 1987. 451pp.
Rupert Charles Lewis. Marcus Garvey: Anti-Colonial Champion. Africa World Press. 1988. 300pp.
Tony Martin. Race First: The Ideological and Organizational Struggles of Marcus Garvey and the Universal Negro Improvement Association. Westport, CT: Greenwood-Heinemann Publishing. 1976. 421pp.
Tony Martin. Literary Garveyism: Garvey, Black Arts, and the Harlem Renaissance. Majority Press. 1983. 204pp.
Tony Martin. Amy Ashwood Garvey: Pan-Africanist, Feminist, and Mrs. Marcus Garvey Wife No. 1, or, A Tale of Two Amies. Dover, MA: Majority Press. 2007. 450pp.
Wilson Jeremiah Moses. Creative Conflict in African American Thought: Frederick Douglass, Alexander Crummell, Booker T. Washington, W. E. B. Du Bois, and Marcus Garvey. Cambridge University Press. 2004. 326pp.
Lenford Sylvester Nembhard. The Trials and Triumphs of Marcus Garvey. 1940. 251pp.
Judith Stein. The World of Marcus Garvey: Race and Class in Modern Society. Louisiana State University Press. 1986. 294pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Public Information Research Namebase [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.427)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.247)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.386)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.388)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.264)
- 100 Greatest African Americans: A Biographical Encyclopedia (pp.134-40)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.197)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.331)
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture (vol.2, p.205)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.214)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications