Politician (6-Jan-1811 11-Mar-1874)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Jeremiah D. Chaplin. The Life of Charles Sumner. Boston, MA: D. Lothrop. 1874. 504pp.
David Herbert Donald. Charles Sumner and the Coming of the Civil War. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. 1960. 392pp.
David Herbert Donald. Charles Sumner and the Rights of Man. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. 1970. 595pp.
Archibald Grimke. The Life of Charles Sumner: The Scholar in Politics. New York: Funk & Wagnalls Co.. 1892.
George H. Haynes. Charles Sumner. Philadelphia: George W. Jacobs. 1909. 469pp.
C. Edwards Lester. Life and Public Services of Charles Sumner. New York: United States Publishing Company. 1874. 693pp.
Elias Nason. Life and Times of Charles Sumner: His Boyhood, Education, and Public Career. Boston: B. B. Russell. 1874. 356pp.
Beverly Wilson Palmer (editor). The Selected Letters of Charles Sumner. Northeastern University Press. 1990. (2 vols.) 702pp. & 538pp.
Edward L. Pierce (editor). Memoir and Letters of Charles Sumner. Boston: Roberts Brothers. 1877-93. (4 vols.)
Walter G. Shotwell. Life of Charles Sumner. New York: Thomas Y. Crowell. 1910. 733pp.
Moorfield Storey. Charles Sumner. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin. 1900. 466pp.
Anne-Marie Taylor. Young Charles Sumner and the Legacy of the American Enlightenment. University of Massachusetts Press. 2001. 480pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Congressional Biography [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.1092)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.1417)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.1008)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.736)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (p.725)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.994)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.711)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.1032)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.186)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2015 Soylent Communications