Novelist (13-Jun-1752 6-Jan-1840)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Michael E. Adelstein. Fanny Burney. New York: Twayne. 1968. 169pp.
Fanny Burney. Diary and Letters of Madame d'Arblay, Author of Evelina, Cecilia, &c.. London: Henry Colburn. 1842-46. (7 vols.) Edited by her niece.
Barbara Darby. Frances Burney, Dramatist: Gender, Performance, and the Late Eighteenth-Century Stage. University Press of Kentucky. 1997. 237pp.
Hester Davenport. Faithful Handmaid: Fanny Burney at the Court of King George III. Stroud: Sutton. 2000. 240pp.
Annie Raine Ellis (editor). The Early Diary of Frances Burney, 1768-1778. London: George Bell. 1889. (2 vols.) 385pp. + 327pp.
Julia Epstein. The Iron Pen: Frances Burney and the Politics of Women's Writing. University of Wisconsin Press. 1989. 276pp.
Emily Hahn. A Degree of Prudery: A Biography of Fanny Burney. Garden City, NY: Doubleday. 1950. 340pp.
Claire Harman. Fanny Burney: A Biography. Harper Collins. 2000. 430pp.
Joyce Hemlow. A Catalogue of the Burney Family Correspondence, 1749-1878. New York: New York Public Library. 1971. 458pp.
Joyce Hemlow. The History of Fanny Burney. Clarendon Press. 1958. 528pp.
Janice Farrar Thaddeus. Frances Burney: A Literary Life. UK: Macmillan. 2000. 263pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.233)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.38)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.11)
- A Dictionary of British and American Women Writers 1660-1800 (pp.64-67)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.153)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.79)
- International Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.86)
- Atlantic: Brief Lives: A Biographical Companion to the Arts (p.111)
- The Feminist Companion to Literature in English (p.159)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (p.78)
- Northeastern Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.87)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.37)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.18)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications