Poet (25-Oct-1914 7-Jan-1972)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Gary Q. Arpin. John Berryman: A Reference Guide. Boston: G. K. Hall & Co.. 1976. 158pp.
Bruce Bawer. The Middle Generation: The Lives and Poetry of Delmore Schwartz, Randall Jarell, John Berryman and Robert Lowell. North Haven, CT: Archon Books. 1986. 216pp.
James D. Bloom. The Stock of Available Reality: R. P. Blackmur and John Berryman. Bucknell University Press. 1984. 216pp.
Joel Conarroe. John Berryman: An Introduction to The Poetry. New York: Columbia University Press. 1977. 216pp.
John Haffenden. John Berryman: A Critical Commentary. UK: Palgrave Macmillan. 1980. 223pp.
John Haffenden. The Life of John Berryman. Boston, MA: Routledge & Kegan Paul. 1982. 451pp.
E. M. Halliday. John Berryman and the Thirties: A Memoir. University of Massachusetts Press. 1988. 240pp.
Lewis Hyde. Alcohol and Poetry: John Berryman and the Booze Talking. Dallas Institute. 1986. 19pp.
Richard Kelly. John Berryman: A Checklist. Scarecrow Press. 1972. 105pp.
Richard J. Kelly (editor). We Dream of Honours: John Berryman's Letters to His Mother. New York: W. W. Norton. 1988. 405pp.
Adam Kirsch. The Wounded Surgeon: Confession and Transformation in Six American Poets. W. W. Norton. 2005. 256pp. The six are: Robert Lowell, Elizabeth Bishop, John Berryman, Randall Jarrell, Delmore Schwartz and Sylvia Plath.
J. M. Linebarger. John Berryman. New York: Twayne Publishers. 1974.
Paul L. Mariani. Dream Song: The Life of John Berryman. William Morrow & Co.. 1990. 519pp.
William J. Martz. John Berryman. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press. 1969. 46pp.
Arthur Oberg. Modern American Lyric: Lowell, Berryman, Creeley, and Plath. Rutgers University Press. 1978. 182pp.
Ernest C. Stefanik. John Berryman: A Descriptive Bibliography. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press. 1974. 286pp.
Harry Thomas (editor). Berryman's Understanding: Reflections on the Poetry of John Berryman. Northeastern University Press. 1988. 280pp.
Thomas J. Travisano. Midcentury Quartet: Bishop, Lowell, Jarrell, Berryman and the Making of a Postmodern Aesthetic. University of Virginia Press. 1999. 352pp.
- John Berryman Papers
Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota
- John Berryman papers, 1952-1972
Columbia University Libraries
- John Berryman Collection, 1956-1990
Stuart A. Rose Library, Emory University
- John Berryman, The Art of Poetry No. 16
by Peter A. Stitt. The Paris Review, 1972.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers
- 20th Century Culture: A Biographical Companion (p.69)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.70)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.148)
- Penguin Companion to the Arts in the Twentieth Century (p.65)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.96)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.27)
- Current Biography, 1969 Yearbook (pp.40-42)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.70)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.101)
- Twentieth Century Authors, First Supplement (p.83)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.61)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.51)
- International Who's Who 1960 (p.83)
- Who's Who in Twentieth-Century World Poetry (p.31)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.24)
- A Dictionary of 20th Century World Biography (Oxford) (p.58)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.2)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2016 Soylent Communications