Physicist (26-Jun-1824 17-Dec-1907)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Joe D. Burchfield. Lord Kelvin and the Age of the Earth. London: Macmillan. 1975. 260pp.
George F. Fitzgerald. Lord Kelvin, Professor of Natural Philosophy in the University of Glasgow, 1846-1899: With an Essay on His Scientific Work. Glasgow: James MacLehose and Sons. 1899. 86pp.
Andrew Gray. Lord Kelvin: An Account of His Scientific Life and Work. London: J. M. Dent & Co.. 1908. 319pp.
David Lindley. Degrees Kelvin: A Tale of Genius, Invention, and Tragedy. Washington, DC: Joseph Henry Press. 2004. 365pp.
Alexander Russell. Lord Kelvin: His Life and Work. London: T. C. & E. C. Jack. 1912. 84pp.
Harold I. Sharlin. Lord Kelvin, the Dynamic Victorian. Pennsylvania State University Press. 1979. 272pp.
Crosbie Smith; M. Norton Wise. Energy and Empire: A Biographical Study of Lord Kelvin. Cambridge University Press. 1989. 866pp.
Silvanus P. Thompson. The Life of William Thomson, Baron Kelvin of Largs. London: Macmillan. 1910. (2 vols.) 584pp. + 712pp.
Silvanus Phillips Thompson. The Life of Lord Kelvin. AMS Bookstore. 1977. 1297pp. Reprint of 1910 work.
Paul Tunbridge. Lord Kelvin: His Influence on Electrical Measurements and Units. IET. 1992. 107pp.
David Wilson. William Thomson, Lord Kelvin: His Way of Teaching Natural Philosophy. Glasgow: John Smith. 1910. 56pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.817)
- Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (p.255)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.273)
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientists (p.265)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.139)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.246)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications