Painter, Author (14-Jul-1834 17-Jul-1903)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Deanna Marohn Bendix. Diabolical Designs: Paintings, Interiors, and Exhibitions of James McNeill Whistler. Smithsonian Institution Press. 1995. 329pp.
N. D'Anvers. James McNeill Whistler. G. Bell. 1904. 72pp.
Eric Denker. In Pursuit of the Butterfly: Portraits of James McNeill Whistler. National Portrait Gallery. 1995. 176pp.
Arthur Jerome Eddy. Recollections and Impressions of James A. McNeill Whistler. J. B. Lippincott Company. 1904. 293pp.
Horace Gregory. The World of James McNeill Whistler. Nelson. 1959. 255pp.
Sadakichi Hartmann. The Whistler Book: A Monograph of the Life and Position in Art of James McNeill Whistler, Together with a Careful Study of His More Important Works. L. C. Page & Co.. 1910. 272pp.
James Laver. Whistler. London: White Lion Publishers. 1976. 256pp.
Margaret F. MacDonald. Palaces in the Night: Whistler in Venice. University of California Press. 2001. 160pp.
Roy McMullen. Victorian Outsider: A Biography of J. A. M. Whistler. New York: E. P. Dutton. 1973. 307pp.
Linda Merrill; Marc Simpson; Sylvia Yount; Robyn Asleson; Lee Glazer. After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting. Yale University Press. 2003. 272pp.
Hesketh Pearson. The Man Whistler. Methuen. 1952. 198pp.
Elizabeth Robins Pennell; Joseph Pennell. The Life of James McNeill Whistler. W. Heinemann. 1908. (2 vols.)
Don Carlos Seitz. Writings By & About James Abbott McNeill Whistler: A Bibliography. O. Schulze & Co.. 1910. 181pp.
Stanley Weintraub. Whistler: A Biography. New York: Weybright and Talley. 1974. 498pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.1206)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.1550)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.1122)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.817)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (p.801)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.1109)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.788)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.513)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.726)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (pp.1183-85)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.482)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.68)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications