Film Director (born 17-Nov-1942)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Michael Bliss. Martin Scorsese and Michael Cimino. Scarecrow Press. 1985. 301pp.
Michael Bliss. The Word Made Flesh: Catholicism and Conflict in the Films of Martin Scorsese. Scarecrow Press. 1995. 131pp.
Peter Brunette (editor). Martin Scorsese: Interviews. University Press of Mississippi. 1999. 270pp.
Robert Casillo. Gangster Priest: The Italian American Cinema of Martin Scorsese. University of Toronto Press. 2006. 600pp.
Mark T. Conard. The Philosophy of Martin Scorsese. University Press of Kentucky. 2007. 264pp.
Marie Katheryn Connelly. Martin Scorsese: An Analysis of His Feature Films, with a Filmography of His Entire Directorial Career. McFarland. 1993. 180pp.
Andy Dougan. Martin Scorsese. Orion Books. 1999. 143pp.
Lawrence S. Friedman. The Cinema of Martin Scorsese. Continuum. 1997. 200pp.
Leighton Grist. The Films of Martin Scorsese, 1963-77: Authorship and Context. St. Martin's Press. 2000. 250pp.
Kevin J. Hayes (editor). Martin Scorsese's Raging Bull. Cambridge University Press. 2005. 164pp.
Diane Jacobs. Hollywood Renaissance: Altman, Cassavetes, Coppola, Mazursky, Scorsese and Others. New York: A. S. Barnes & Co.. 1977. 192pp.
Mary Pat Kelly. Martin Scorsese: A Journey. Thunder's Mouth Press. 2004. 320pp. Updated edition.
Lester Keyser. Martin Scorsese. Gale Group. 1993. 160pp.
Robert Kolker. A Cinema of Loneliness. Oxford University Press. 2000. 484pp. Covering Penn, Stone, Kubrick, Scorsese, Spielberg, and Altman.
Thomas R. Lindlof. Hollywood Under Siege: Martin Scorsese, the Religious Right, and the Culture Wars. University Press of Kentucky. 2008. 394pp.
Maria T. Miliora. The Scorsese Psyche on Screen: Roots of Themes and Characters in the Films. McFarland. 2004. 211pp.
Mark Nicholls. Scorsese's Men: Melancholia and the Mob. Pluto Press. 2004. 191pp.
Ben Nyce. Scorsese Up Close: A Study of the Films. Scarecrow Press. 2004. 176pp.
Jim Sangster. Scorsese. Virgin Books. 2002. 304pp.
Martin Scorsese. Scorsese on Scorsese. Faber and Faber. 1990. 178pp.
Lesley Stern. The Scorsese Connection. Indiana University Press. 1995. 257pp.
Kenneth Von Gunden. Postmodern Auteurs: Coppola, Lucas, De Palma, Spielberg, and Scorsese. McFarland. 1991. 200pp.
Marion Weiss. Martin Scorsese: A Guide to References and Resources. G. K. Hall. 1987. 137pp.
Paul A. Woods. Scorsese: A Journey Through the American Psyche. Plexus. 2005. 288pp.
- The Passion of Martin Scorsese
In his new film, "Silence", he returns to a subject that has animated his entire life's work and that also sparked his career's greatest controversy: the nature of faith.
by Paul Elie. The New York Times Magazine, 21-Nov-2016.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.1316)
- Penguin Companion to the Arts in the Twentieth Century (p.280)
- The Film Encyclopedia, 5th Edition (p.1257)
- Cassell Companion to Cinema (p.496)
- Chambers Film and TV Handbook (p.298)
- The Encyclopedia of Film (pp.485-86)
- Celebrity Register 4th Issue (p.450)
- Celebrity Register 5th Issue (p.489)
- Contemporary North American Directors (pp.413-16)
- The Encyclopedia of Hollywood (p.367)
- The New Biographical Dictionary of Film (pp.789-91)
- The Hollywood.com Guide to Film Directors (pp.767-73)
- The St. James Encyclopedia of Film Directors (pp.453-57)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.654)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.445)
- Britannica Almanac 2006 (p.105)
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture (vol.4, p.337)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.340)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2017 Soylent Communications