Painter (26-Jul-1796 23-Dec-1872)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Lloyd Haberly. Pursuit of the Horizon: A Life of George Catlin, Painter and Recorder of the American Indian. New York: MacMillan. 1948. 239pp.
Therese Thau Heyman; George Gurney (editors). George Catlin and His Indian Gallery. New York, NY: W. W. Norton & Company. 2002. 288pp.
Harold McCracken. George Catlin and the Old Frontier. New York: Dial Press. 1959. 216pp.
Robert J. Moore. Native Americans: A Portrait: The Art and Travels of Charles Bird King, George Catlin, and Karl Bodmer. Stewart, Tabori & Chang. 1997. 279pp.
Robert Plate. Palette and Tomahawk: The Story of George Catlin. New York: David McKay. 1962. 248pp.
Marjorie C. Roehm (editor). Letters of George Catlin and His Family: A Chronicle of the American West. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press. 1966. 463pp.
Joan Carpenter Troccoli. First Artist of the West: George Catlin Paintings and Watercolors From the Collection of Gilcrease Museum. Tulsa: Gilcrease Museum. 1993. 176pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.193)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.276)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.184)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.129)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.76)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (p.139)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.179)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.122)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.96)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.151)
- Atlantic: Brief Lives: A Biographical Companion to the Arts (p.137)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.45)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.62)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications