Poet (28-Jul-1927 3-Sep-2017)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Silvia Maria de Magalhaes Carvalho. The Desire to Communicate: Reconsidering John Ashbery and the Visual Arts. Peter Lang Publishing. 2000. 172pp.
Mary E. Eichbauer. Poetry's Self-Portrait: The Visual Arts as Mirror and Muse in René Char and John Ashbery. Pieterlen, Switzerland: Peter Lang. 1992.
David Herd. John Ashbery and American Poetry: Fit to Cope with Our Occasions. Manchester University Press. 2000. 208pp.
David Kalstone. Five Temperaments: Elizabeth Bishop, Robert Lowell, James Merrill, Adrienne Rich, John Ashbery. Oxford University Press. 1977. 212pp.
Lionel Kelly (editor). Poetry and the Sense of Panic: Critical Essays on Elizabeth Bishop and John Ashbery. Editions Rodopi B.V.. 2000. 192pp.
David Lehman (editor). Beyond Amazement: New Essays on John Ashbery. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. 1980.
Barbara Malinowska. Dynamics of Being, Space, and Time in the Poetry of Czeslaw Milosz and John Ashbery. Peter Lang. 2000. 180pp.
Krystyna Mazur. Poetry and Repetition: Walt Whitman, Wallace Stevens, John Ashbery. Taylor & Francis/Routledge. 2005. 180pp.
Susan M. Schultz (editor). The Tribe of John: Ashbery and Contemporary Poetry. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press. 1995. 288pp.
David Shapiro. John Ashbery: An Introduction to the Poetry. New York: Columbia University Press. 1979.
John Shoptaw. On the Outside Looking Out: John Ashbery's Poetry. Harvard University Press. 1995.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- New York Times Obituary [link]
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers (p.20)
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography (p.23)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.29)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.69)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.13)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.25)
- Who's Who in Lesbian & Gay Writing (p.7)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.56)
- World Authors 1950-1970 (pp.86-88)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.24)
- The International Who's Who 2001 (p.66)
- Who's Who in Twentieth-Century World Poetry (p.17)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.12)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2017 Soylent Communications