Philosopher (c. 490 BC 430 BC)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Ava Chitwood. Death by Philosophy: The Biographical Tradition in the Life and Death of the Archaic Philosophers Empedocles, Heraclitus, and Democritus. University of Michigan Press. 2004. 209pp.
Myrto Garani. Poetry and Analogy in Empedocles and Lucretius. Routledge. 2007. 324pp.
Peter Kingsley. Ancient Philosophy, Mystery, and Magic: Empedocles and Pythagorean Tradition. Clarendon Press. 1997. 432pp.
Helle Lambridis. Empedocles: A Philosophical Investigation. University of Alabama Press. 1976. 154pp.
Denis O'Brien. Empedocles' Cosmic Cycle: A Reconstruction from the Fragments and Secondary Sources. Cambridge University Press. 1969. 459pp.
Raymond Adolph Prier. Archaic Logic: Symbol and Structure in Heraclitus, Parmenides and Empedocles. Mouton. 1976. 163pp.
Simon Trépanier. Empedocles: An Interpretation. Routledge. 2004. 289pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.479)
- Greek and Latin Authors 800BC-1000AD (pp.138-40)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.319)
- Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (p.7)
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientific Biography (p.211)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.168)
- Who's Who in the Greek World (p.90)
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientists (p.150)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.171)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.102)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications