Anthropologist (9-Jul-1858 22-Dec-1942)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Norman Francis Boas. Franz Boas, 1858-1942: An Illustrated Biography. Mystic, CT: Seaport Autographs Press. 2004. 312pp.
Douglas Cole. Franz Boas: The Early Years, 1858-1906. University of Washington Press. 1999. 360pp.
Walter Goldschmidt (editor). The Anthropology of Franz Boas: Essays on the Centennial of His Birth. American Anthropological Association. 1959. 165pp. The American Anthropologist, Vol. 61, No. 5, Part 2, Memoir No. 89. Contains ten essays.
Melville J. Herskovits. Franz Boas: The Science of Man in the Making. New York, NY: Charles Scribner's Sons. 1953. 131pp.
Marshall Hyatt. Franz Boas, Social Activist: The Dynamics of Ethnicity. New York: Greenwood Press. 1990.
A. Jonaitis (editor). A Wealth of Thought: Franz Boas on Native American Art. 1995. 365pp. Fourteen of Boas' papers.
Ralph Maud. Transmission Difficulties: Franz Boas and Tsimshian Mythology. Talonbooks, Ltd.. 2000. 176pp.
Ronald P. Rohner (editor). Translated by Hedy Parker. The Ethnography of Franz Boas: Letters and Diaries of Franz Boas Written on the Northwest Coast from 1886 to 1931. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. 1969. 331pp.
Leslie White. The Ethnography and Ethnology of Franz Boas. Austin, TX: University of Texas Museum. 1963. 76pp. Bulletin #6 of the Texas Memorial Museum.
Vernon J. Williams, Jr.. Rethinking Race: Franz Boas and His Contemporaries. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky. 1996. 152pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Public Information Research Namebase [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.114)
- 20th Century Culture: A Biographical Companion (p.81)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.81)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.168)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.114)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.118)
- Twentieth Century Authors, First Supplement (p.95)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.73)
- Biographical Dictionary of Psychology (p.50)
- Biographical Dictionary of the Left (vol.4, pp.259-62)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.65)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.27)
- A Dictionary of 20th Century World Biography (Oxford) (p.68)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.110)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications