Mathematician, Inventor (26-Dec-1791 18-Oct-1871)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Harry Wilmot Buxton. Memoir of the Life and Labours of the Late Charles Babbage Esq. F.R.S.. The MIT Press. 1988. 401pp. A biography assigned by Babbage to a friend in the 1870s, this remained unpublished until 1988.
John Michael Dubbey. The Mathematical Work of Charles Babbage. Cambridge University Press. 1978. 235pp.
Anthony Hyman. Charles Babbage: Pioneer of the Computer. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 1985. 287pp.
Michael Lindgren. Translated by Craig G. McKay. Glory and Failure: The Difference Engines of Johann Muller, Charles Babbage, and Georg and Edvard Sheutz. The MIT Press. 1990. 415pp.
M. Moseley. Irascible Genius: A Life of Charles Babbage, Inventor. Hutchinson. 1964. 288pp.
Laura J. Snyder. The Philosophical Breakfast Club Four Remarkable Friends Who Transformed Science and Changed the World. New York: Broadway Books. 2011. 440pp. Charles Babbage, John Herschel, William Whewell, and Richard Jones.
Doron Swade. The Cogwheel Brain: Charles Babbage and the Quest to Build the First Computer. London: Little Brown and Company. 2000. 342pp. American title, The Difference Engine.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- 20th Century Culture: A Biographical Companion (p.32)
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography (p.29)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.84)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.32)
- Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (p.203)
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientific Biography (p.34)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.16)
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientists (p.25)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.44)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.135)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications