Philosopher, Sociologist (27-Apr-1820 8-Dec-1903)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Kieran Egan. Getting It Wrong from the Beginning: Our Progressivist Inheritance from Herbert Spencer, John Dewey, and Jean Piaget. Yale University Press. 2002. 224pp.
Nancy L. Paxton. George Eliot and Herbert Spencer: Feminism, Evolutionism, and the Reconstruction of Gender. Princeton University Press. 1991.
Josiah Royce. Herbert Spencer: An Estimate and Review. New York: Fox, Duffield and Company. 1904. 234pp.
David Weinstein. Equal Freedom and Utility: Herbert Spencer's Liberal Utilitarianism. Cambridge University Press. 1998. 235pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.1378)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.352)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.971)
- Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (p.243)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.462)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.643)
- Who's Who in Modern History, 1860-1980 (p.296)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (p.491)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.486)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.107)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.424)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications