Anthropologist, Activist (16-Dec-1901 15-Nov-1978)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Lois W. Banner. Intertwined Lives: Margaret Mead, Ruth Benedict, and Their Circle. Alfred A. Knopf. 2003. 540pp.
Mary Catherine Bateson. With a Daughter's Eye: A Memoir of Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson. New York: William Morrow. 1984. 242pp.
Margaret M. Caffrey; Patricia A. Francis (editors). To Cherish the Life of the World: Selected Letters of Margaret Mead. Basic Books. 2006. 429pp.
Robert Cassidy. Margaret Mead: A Voice for the Century. New York: Universe Books. 1982. 176pp.
Lenora Foerstel; Angela Gilliam (editors). Confronting the Margaret Mead Legacy: Scholarship, Empire and South Pacific. Temple University Press. 1992. 298pp.
Derek Freeman. Margaret Mead and Samoa: The Making and Unmaking of an Anthropological Myth. Harvard University Press. 1983. 379pp.
Joan Gordan (editor). Margaret Mead: The Complete Bibliography, 1925-1975. Walter de Gruyter. 1976. 202pp.
Patricia Grinager. Uncommon Lives: My Lifelong Friendship with Margaret Mead. Rowman & Littlefield. 1999. 273pp.
Lowell D. Holmes. Quest for the Real Samoa: The Mead/Freeman Controversy and Beyond. Bergin & Garvey. 1987. 209pp.
Jane Howard. Margaret Mead: A Life. Simon and Schuster. 1984. 442pp.
Malopa'upo Isaia. Coming of Age in American Anthropology: Margaret Mead and Paradise. Universal-Publishers. 1999. 299pp. Poorly written and poorly edited, in a bad typeface, the writing bordering on rant.
Dolores Janiewski; Lois W. Banner (editors). Reading Benedict / Reading Mead: Feminism, Race, and Imperial Visions. JHU Press. 2004. 296pp.
Hilary Lapsley. Margaret Mead and Ruth Benedict: The Kinship of Women. University of Massachusetts Press. 1999. 416pp.
Nancy C. Lutkehaus. Margaret Mead: The Making of an American Icon. Princeton University Press. 2008. 374pp.
Margaret Mead. Blackberry Winter: My Earlier Years. Scranton, PA: William Morrow. 1972. 305pp.
Allyn Moss. Margaret Mead: Shaping a New World. Encyclopaedia Britannica Press. 1963. 192pp.
Martin Orans. Not Even Wrong: Margaret Mead, Derek Freeman, and the Samoans. Chandler & Sharp. 1996. 190pp.
Edward Rice. Margaret Mead: A Portrait. Harper & Row. 1979. 204pp.
Gerald Sullivan. Margaret Mead, Gregory Bateson, and Highland Bali: Fieldwork Photographs of Bayung Gedé, 1936-1939. University of Chicago Press. 1999. 213pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Public Information Research Namebase [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.762)
- 20th Century Culture: A Biographical Companion (p.501)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.469)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.996)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.706)
- Twentieth Century Authors (p.943)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.483)
- Who's Who in Lesbian & Gay Writing (p.137)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.667)
- Public Intellectuals: A Study in Decline (p.201)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.491)
- International Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.315)
- International Who's Who 1960 (p.634)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.338)
- Almanac of American Women in the 20th Century (p.160)
- The Feminist Companion to Literature in English (p.729)
- Biographical Dictionary of the Left (vol.1, p.454)
- Oxford Companion to Women's Writing in the United States (p.557)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.341)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.113)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications