|Henry Ward Beecher|
Religion (24-Jun-1813 8-Mar-1887)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Lyman Abbott. The Life of Henry Ward Beecher. Cambridge, MA: Houghton, Mifflin and Company. 1903. 457pp.
Lyman Abbott; S. B. Halliday (editors). Henry Ward Beecher: A Sketch of His Career: With Analyses of His Power as a Preacher, Lecturer, Orator, and Journalist, and Incidents and Reminscences of His Life. New York: Funk & Wagnalls. 1883. 604pp. Essays by 39 contributors, prepared for Beecher's 70th birthday.
Debby Applegate. The Most Famous Man in America: The Biography of Henry Ward Beecher. New York: Doubleday. 2006. 544pp.
William C. Beecher; Samuel Scoville. A Biography of Rev. Henry Ward Beecher. New York: Charles L. Webster & Co.. 1888.
Jane Shaffer Elsmere. Henry Ward Beecher: the Indiana Years, 1837-1847. Indianapolis, IN: Indiana Historical Society. 1973. 317pp.
Paxton Hibben. Henry Ward Beecher: An American Portrait. New York: George H. Doran Company. 1927. 390pp.
Joseph Howard, Jr.. Life of Henry Ward Beecher: The Eminent Pulpit and Platform Orator. Philadelphia: Hubbard Brothers. 1887.
Thomas W. Knox. Life and Work of Henry Ward Beecher. Hartford, CT: Hartford Publishing Co.. 1887. 544pp.
William G. McLoughlin. The Meaning of Henry Ward Beecher: An Essay on the Shifting Values of Mid-Victorian America, 1840-1870. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. 1970. 275pp.
James B. Pond. A Summer in England with Henry Ward Beecher. New York: Fords, Howard & Hulbert. 1887. 298pp.
Halford Ross Ryan. Henry Ward Beecher: Peripatetic Preacher. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. 1990.
Robert Shaplen. Free Love and Heavenly Sinners: The Story of the Great Henry Ward Beecher Scandal. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. 1954.
N. A. Shenstone. Anecdotes of Henry Ward Beecher. Chicago, IL: R. R. Donnelley & Sons. 1887. 447pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.74)
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography (p.42)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.49)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.127)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.81)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.45)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (p.65)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.62)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.32)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.88)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.47)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.62)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications