Politician (9-Mar-1763 16-Jun-1835)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Marjorie Bowen. Porcupine: A Study of William Cobbett. London: Longmans, Green. 1935. 312pp.
Anthony Burton. William Cobbett: Englishman: A Biography. London: Aurum Press, Ltd.. 1997.
E. I. Carlyle. William Cobbett: A Study of His Life as Shown in His Writings. London: Constable. 1904. 318pp.
G. K. Chesterton. William Cobbett. New York: Dodd, Mead and Company. 1926.
G. D. H. Cole. The Life of William Cobbett. London: W. Collins Sons & Co.. 1924. 458pp. Chapter 21 (on "Rural Rides") written by F. E. Green.
G. D. H. Cole (editor). Letters from William Cobbett to Edward Thornton Written in the Years 1797-1800. Oxford University Press. 1937.
Ian Dyck. William Cobbett and Rural Popular Culture. Cambridge University Press. 1992. 328pp.
Pierce W. Gaines. William Cobbett and the United States, 1792-1835: A Bibliography with Notes and Extracts. American Antiquarian Society. 1971. 270pp.
Richard Ingrams. The Life and Adventures of William Cobbett. London: Harper Collins. 2005. 333pp.
Lewis Melville. The Life and Letters of William Cobbett in England and America. London: John Lane, The Bodley Head. 1913. (2 vols.) 326pp. + 335pp.
Leonora Nattrass. William Cobbett: The Politics of Style. Cambridge University Press. 1995. 263pp.
John W. Osborne. William Cobbett: His Thought and His Times. 1966. 272pp.
Morris Leonard Pearl. William Cobbett: A Bibliographical Account of His Life and Times. London: Oxford University Press. 1953. 266pp.
George Spater. William Cobbett: The Poor Man's Friend. Cambridge University Press. 1982. (2 vols.) 653pp.
David A. Wilson. Tom Paine and William Cobbett: The Transatlantic Connection. McGill-Queen's University Press. 1988. 240pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.324)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.151)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.88)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.141)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.116)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.177)
- Atlantic: Brief Lives: A Biographical Companion to the Arts (p.167)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (p.108)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.102)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.92)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications