|John Wesley Powell|
Geologist, Explorer (24-Mar-1834 23-Sep-1902)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
William T. Pecora. The Colorado River Region and John Wesley Powell. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office. 1969. 145pp.
Wallace Stegner. Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West. Boston, MA: Houghlin Mifflin. 1954. 419pp.
Hal G. Stephens; John Wesley Powell; Eugene M. Shoemaker. In the Footsteps of John Wesley Powell: An Album of Comparative Photographs of the Green and Colorado Rivers, 1871-72 and 1968. Boulder, CO: Johnson Books. 1987. 286pp.
John Upton Terrell. The Man Who Rediscovered America: A Biography of John Wesley Powell. New York: Weybright and Talley. 1969. 281pp.
Marcia L. Thomas. John Wesley Powell: An Annotated Bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. 2004. 288pp.
Donald Worster. A River Running West: The Life of John Wesley Powell. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. 2000.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.903)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.842)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.603)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.584)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.818)
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientists (p.392)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications