Jazz Musician (21-Oct-1917 7-Jan-1993)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Dany Gignoux (editor). Dizzy Gillespie. Munich, Germany: Nieswand-Verlag. 1993. 150pp. 57 testimonials by peers and friends.
Dizzy Gillespie; with Al Fraser. To BE or Not to BOP. Doubleday. 1979. 497pp.
Leslie Gourse. Dizzy Gillespie and the Birth of Bebop. Atheneum. 1994. 150pp.
Raymond Horricks. Dizzy Gillespie and the Be-Bop Revolution. New York: Hippocrene Books. 1984. 96pp.
Gene Lees. You Can't Steal a Gift: Dizzy Gillespie, Clark Terry, Milt Hilton and Nat 'King' Cole. Yale University Press. 2001.
Donald L. Maggin. Dizzy: The Life and Times of John Birks Gillespie. New York: HarperEntertainment/HarperCollins. 2004. 422pp.
Alyn Shipton. Groovin' High: The Life of Dizzy Gillespie. Oxford University Press. 1999. 422pp.
Lee Tanner (editor). Dizzy: John Birks Gillespie in His 75th Year. San Francisco, CA: Pomegranate Artbooks. 1991. 51pp.
Ken Vail. Dizzy Gillespie: The Bebop Years, 1937-1952. Rowman & Littlefield. 2003. 96pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Internet Broadway Database [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Harvard Concise Dictionary of Music and Musicians (p.258)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.255)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.589)
- Celebrity Register 3rd Issue (p.193)
- Celebrity Register 4th Issue (p.187)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.272)
- Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, 8th Edition (p.345)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.203)
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture (vol.2, pp.236-28)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.345)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications