Author (13-Jan-1832 18-Jul-1899)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Bob Bennett. Horatio Alger, Jr.: A Comprehensive Bibliography. Mt. Pleasant, MI: Flying Eagle Publishing Co.. 1980. 200pp.
Ralph D. Gardner. Horatio Alger, or the American Hero Era. Mendota: Wayside Press. 1964. 505pp.
Frank Gruber. Horatio Alger, Jr.: A Biography and Bibliography. Los Angeles: Grover Jones Press. 1961.
Edwin P. Hoyt. Horatio's Boys: The Life and Works of Horatio Alger, Jr.. Radnor, PA: Chilton Book Company. 1974. 263pp.
Carol Nackenoff. The Fictional Republic: Horatio Alger and American Political Discourse. Oxford University Press. 1994.
Ray Russell. Holy Horatio! the Strange Life and Paradoxical Works of the Legendary Mr. Alger. Santa Barbara, CA: Capra Press. 1976.
Gary Scharnhorst; Jack Bales (editors). Horatio Alger, Jr.: An Annotated Bibliography of Comment and Criticism. Littlefield. 1981. 192pp.
Gary Scharnhorst; Jack Bales. The Lost Life of Horatio Alger, Jr.. Bloomington, IN: Indiana Indiana University Press. 1985.
John Tebbel. From Rags to Riches: Horatio Alger and the American Dream. New York: Macmillan. 1963. 245pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers (p.12)
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.28)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.32)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.21)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.11)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (p.24)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.18)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.25)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.11)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.6)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.15)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.5)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.1)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications