Singer (15-Apr-1894 26-Sep-1937)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Chris Albertson. Bessie. Stein & Day/Yale University Press. 1972. 336pp. Revised edition in 2003.
Edward Brooks. The Bessie Smith Companion: A Critical and Detailed Appreciation of the Recordings. 1982. 229pp.
Elaine Feinstein. Bessie Smith. Viking. 1985. 112pp.
Jackie Kay. Bessie Smith. Absolute Press. 1997. 160pp.
Alexandria Manera. Bessie Smith. Raintree. 2003. 64pp.
Carman Moore. Somebody's Angel Child: The Story of Bessie Smith. Thomas Y. Crowell Co.. 1969.
Paul Oliver. Bessie Smith. Cassel Ltd.. 1959.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Harvard Concise Dictionary of Music and Musicians (p.616)
- 20th Century Culture: A Biographical Companion (p.710)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.655)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.1361)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.959)
- Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, 8th Edition (p.952)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.676)
- International Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.431)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.457)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.968)
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture (vol.4, p.439)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.330)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications